Junior Cycle Subjects
Wesley College follows the Junior Cycle Programme as specified by the Department of Education and Skills. The Junior Cycle Programme replaces the Junior Certificate and has been implemented on a phased basis since 2014, with all subjects underway in 1st year from September 2019.
The Core Curriculum
Students will study both core subjects and choice subjects over the course of the 3 years. Please note that curriculum summaries in red boxes are older subjects that are from the Junior Certificate and will be replaced by Junior Cycle summaries as they change in line with the NCCA framework.
- Religious Education
They will also study a Modern Foreign Language of their choosing:
Wellbeing is an integral part of the programme and on the timetable this comprises of:
- Physical Education
- Social Personal & Health Education
- Guidance Period
In addition, all students in 1st Year will take modules in Choir and Digital Literacy.
* Some students may be exempt from the study of Gaeilge in specific exceptional circumstances for example if they have received their primary education outside the country up to the age of eleven. Some students who experience difficulties with literacy may meet the criteria for an exemption. Applications for such must be made in writing to the school. More information about this can be found in our Special Educational Needs Policy.
Two further subjects are to be chosen from the list below. Subject choices must be selected by downloading and filling in the following Subject Choice Form.
Click on a subject's name to see more information about the subject.
Applied Technology is a hands on, design and make subject which encourages students to develop the necessary conceptual understanding, disciplinary skills and subject knowledge to investigate and solve real-life problems. New technologies can impact on society and the environment. Students will analyse expected benefits and impacts as they make decisions about their design solutions, while considering the end user, the environmental impact and the functionality of their designs. This will be achieved through three inter-connected strands: Principles and Practices, Energy and Control, and Technology and Society. Throughout each of the strands, there are four elements: Analysis and problem solving, Design and innovation, Planning, Managing and creating and Communicating which create a framework for student learning. Applied Technology is assessed at a common level. On completion of the Classroom-Based Assessments, students undertake a project. The project is completed after the second CBA in third year. The brief for the project is set and marked by the State Examinations Commission (SEC). The project accounts for 70% of the final SEC grade with the written examination accounting for the other 30%.
Business Studies focuses on improving students’ understanding of the business environment and on developing skills for life, work, and further study through three strands: Personal Finance; Enterprise; Our Economy. Personal Finance develops skills, knowledge and values that allow students to make informed decisions to effectively and responsibly manage their financial resources (e.g. budgeting, insurance, taxation, consumer). Enterprise encourages students to identify opportunities and turn them into practical and targeted activities within business and wider society. It develops an understanding of financial, marketing and operational functions by developing business ideas, marketing plans, final accounts, and industrial relations. Our Economy enables students to understand the dynamic relationship between local, national and international economics (e.g. scarcity and choice, national budget, international trade).
Classics takes an interesting and broad approach to the study of history, literature, philosophy, art and archaeology of ancient Greek and Roman civilizations. In the Junior Cycle the subject is divided into three strands of which students are required to study two. Strand 1: Myth and Daily Life explores mythical storytelling using a range of ancient source material and secondly, examining the realities of daily life, values, ideologies and customs in the ancient world. Strand 2 deals with two distinct areas, (a) The World of Achilles and (b) Rome, Centre of an Empire. In The World of Achilles students examine Homer’s epic poem the Iliad and the complexities of the Trojan War. Through the lens of the urban landscape in, Rome, Centre of an Empire, students will explore public life, history, politics and prominent ancient people between the 2nd Century BC and 3rd Century AD.
Graphics involves students in the development of a range of skills associated with the management of spatial problems and the graphical communication of spatial ideas and solutions. In Graphics, students in the junior cycle of post-primary education construct, and study the properties of, plane geometrical figures; they also develop skills in graphical communication using current standards and conventions, including drawing and sketching and the use of computer graphics. There is a project in Graphics which is worth 30% and the exam in June is worth the other 70%.
Home Economics develops the knowledge, understanding, skills and values necessary to achieve optimal, healthy and sustainable living for every person as an individual, and as members of families and society. The course comprises of three strands: Food, Health & Culinary Skills; Responsible Family Living; Textiles & Crafts. In the Junior Cycle, Home Economics has both practical and written assessments. The students engage in two Classroom Based Assessments (CBA’s), one in Year 2 and one in Year 3. CBA1 focuses on Creative Textiles and will be completed in Year 2. CBA2 focuses on Food Literacy Skills and is completed in Year 3. The final assessment comprises of a practical culinary exam (50%) and a written examination (50%) which takes place at the end of Year 3.
The syllabus has been devised to suit the entire range of student aptitude and ability, and to enable students to develop artistic awareness and understanding, self-expression, self-esteem, imagination and musical sensitivity, and therefore, to the development of the whole person. Students will develop knowledge, skills and understanding necessary to produce and engage with authentic and original music, that is both theirs and the music of others. This is achieved in three areas: - (i) Performing - singing, playing solo or in groups (ii) Composing – musical literacy (iii) Listening - recognition of sounds, textures and styles, along with the ability to listen critically and understand basic structures in music. There is an emphasis on student centered teaching and active participation. There are two classroom based assessments (CBAs); Composition Portfolio (year 2) and Programme Note (Year 3), a practical exam (year 3 -30%) and a final written assessment (end of year 3 – 70%).
Visual Art focuses on the three strands of Art, Craft and Design. Students will explore a variety of materials and techniques to enhance their drawing skills from primary sources, both life and still life. There is a focus on the development of ideas and skills, concepts and practice. Students will use a sketchbook to aid them. New techniques and crafts will be introduced to classes including etching, lino printing, sculpture, pottery and wire construction. With every project there will be research into contemporary artists’ work to explore, reference and inspire the students in their own work. There is no written exam but final assessment will be based on a completed project in Year 3. The final assessment will be assessed by the State Exam Commission. Percentage allocation is 100%. There are 200 marks for the SEC final project and these are allocated as follows: Workbook 100 marks, Artefact No.1 – 50 marks; Artefact No.2 – 50 marks.
In Wood Technology students will explore the natural and made world through the medium of design, seeking out opportunities to creatively and innovatively apply the material/resource in making and shaping their environment. The sustainable use of and management of this natural resource is important as the world faces the challenges of the 21st century. Learning in this subject will be active and student centered, with learners collaborating in the pursuit of knowledge and in the safe management of the Wood Technology classroom environment. Through the challenges posed by the design-based philosophy of the subject, students will develop the relevant knowledge, understanding, skills and values to bring ideas from conception to reality in a way that will allow them to be expressive, creative and innovative. The brief for the project is set and marked by the State Examinations Commission (SEC). The project accounts for 70% of the final SEC grade with the written examination accounting for the other 30%.