Wesley College Dublin

Senior Girls Cup Final

Leinster Senior Cup Final – Girls Hockey

Last Friday, several buses packed with Wesley supporters returned to Three Rock Rovers where the Girls Senior 1sts had beaten High School in the Semi-final two weeks earlier. The strong winds hadn’t put people off and supporters crammed onto each side of the pitch. This was the big one. The Leinster Schoolgirls Senior Cup Final between Wesley and St. Andrew’s.

Wesley started dominantly, attacking strong. The girls got their first short corner within 7 minutes, but it was quickly cleared by Andrew’s who then worked it to the other end of the pitch, firing it in at Holly Micklem in goals, who kept her composure and saved. However, it wasn’t long before Andrew’s slipped the ball into the goal. It was 1-0 to Andrew’s.

Wesley began to pile on the pressure, earning 4 short corners in the opening quarter. The Andrew’s keeper made good saves, while Emily McKay’s shot drifted just wide.

The Wesley defence was outstanding, Emma Paul taking charge. Andrew’s first short corner came after 20 minutes. It was slapped in by Andrew’s but ended up saved onto an Andrew’s foot.

Half time antics by the mascots and cheer squad fired Wesley up. The second half started with a rainbow facing the Wesley crowd and the girls were searching for their pot of gold. It soon came, Rachel Patterson intercepted a sloppy pass out of defence and laid it off to Lara Gillespie who amazingly chipped it over the Andrew’s keeper on her reverse. The game was on.

The remainder of the second half consisted of a constant Wesley attack. Short corner number 5 for Wesley was strongly swept in by Emma Paul but was saved by the Andrew’s goalie. A few minutes later, Micklem confidently booted away Andrew’s second short corner of the game to keep level.

Without doubt, Wesley were in the driving seat in the closing minutes. However, time ran out and the final whistle blew just as a drizzle started.

Emma Paul, Hannah McGrane, Captain Sadhbh Breslin, Charlotte Stapleton and Emily McKay all stepped up for their 1v1’s while Holly Micklem held her own in goal. It ended up at sudden death as each side had put in 2 goals each. Andrew’s fired one in and unfortunately the whistle went against us to sound the end of the 8 second period, just before out shot went over the line.

Wesley hearts were broken but the supporters kept cheering the girls on. Well done to the girls and Mr Blennerhassett. We are all so proud of you.

Written by Rachel Daly