In October 2020, Wesley College, Dublin will celebrate 175 years at the forefront of education in Ireland.
Founded on 1st October 1845 with three boarders and nine day pupils, the College moved from its original premises on St Stephen’s Green to the new campus in Ballinteer in 1969 with 550 pupils.
Wesley is now home to over 900 pupils in a vibrant, modern facility.
As we approach 175 years of service, preparations are underway to mark this key achievement in 2020 and 2021 with several initiatives in and around the Campus.
We are looking forward to this opportunity for the whole Wesley College Community, Students, Staff, Parents, Alumni and Friends to come together to celebrate.
Keep up to date with all the news and events here and on our social media platforms.
175 Event Update
Wesley 175 Gala Dinner Event
As you all know, the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has meant that it has been vital to limit social contact and avoid any gatherings. Even though we are now in a phased return to some sort of normality, we have made the incredibly difficult decision to postpone our 175th Gala Dinner that was due to take place on October 2nd 2020.
While we know this is disappointing, we hope you can understand this step has been taken so that our vast Wesley community do not have to worry about travelling or coming together in large numbers and can stay safe and well.
The Event will now take place on Saturday October 2nd 2021 in The Round Room of The Mansion House in Dublin. Please mark it in your diary. It will be the culmination of a year of events celebrating the Colleges 175 years. Events that still include.
We know that you all understand the reasons for this decision, and we thank you for your support during these unprecedented times.
- Photo Memories from 1995 to 2020 will be published and available from September 2020. It promises to be a treasure-trove of images of events and people from the last 25 years. Capturing footage of everyday life in the College, a short website film will be released as part of an upgraded College website.
- In a time of climate change, we will leave a longer-term record of the importance of this anniversary as we plant 175 trees on our campus in the autumn of 2020.
- As part of a living history project, we look forward to being entertained by Wesley Time Travellers who will attend the College over the anniversary period dressed in various uniforms from the past. Legends from earlier Wesley days are being interviewed as part of an audio-visual project for all to enjoy.
- A Wesley College Archives display is being assembled in the Concourse of the Administration Building. We are looking to supplement this with items that might be loaned to us for this special year as we create a living archive in the College.
- A Wesley Community Family Tree is currently being produced to illustrate an extraordinary network of families, some which have had multiple generations attend the College. If your family has had three of four generations of pupils who have attended please do contact us at email@example.com
- Past students have already embarked upon the Wesley Making a Difference opportunity. Our students have volunteered in Morocco and India and are due to travel to the Seychelles. The purpose of these 175 initiatives is to support volunteers who seek to make a difference when they leave the College. It is open to all pupils who will complete 6th Year in 2020 or who have done so in the last five years. For further information, please visit the College website.
- A Wesley International Hockey Patrons support scheme has been launched in this 175th year, to particularly support those of our pupils who are selected to play for a junior age international hockey squad.
- The Wesley College Senior Rugby Squad will tour South Africa in July 2021 as part of the College's 175 celebrations. The squad will play four matches against opposition schools in Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and Durban and will watch the British and Irish Lions take on the DHL Stormers at CPT Stadium in Cape Town, a South Africa Invitational XV at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth and the Natal Sharks at Jonsson Kings Park, Durban.'
- And finally, every pupil present in October 2020 will receive a specially produced gift to mark their status as part of the Wesley community. Moving the Dinner to 2021 means that more of you will be able to attend, what we hope will be, a spectacular end to our 175 celebrations.
Making a Difference
Making a Difference is a wonderful opportunity for recent past Wesley pupils.
The College is seeking to support the class of 2019 or 2020, or past pupils who completed 6th Year in the College in the years 2015-2018. This support will comprise a financial contribution towards their endeavour to enable them to undertake their making a difference project.
Thousands of pupils have passed through Wesley College, contributing in many ways. October 2020 will be an opportunity for current pupils, alumni, parents, teachers and friends of the College to celebrate.
Check this page over the coming weeks and months to keep up to date with this exciting initiative.
Christopher Woods | Principal