In October 2020, Wesley College, Dublin celebrates 175 years at the forefront of education in Ireland.
Founded on 1st October 1845 with three boarders and nine day pupils, the College moved from its original premises on St Stephen’s Green to the new campus in Ballinteer in 1969 with 550 pupils.
Wesley is now home to over 900 pupils in a vibrant, modern facility.
As we mark 175 years of service, celebrations have taken place to mark this key achievement in 2020 and 2021 with several initiatives in and around the Campus.
Keep up to date with all the news and events here and on our social media platforms.
175 Event Update
Wesley 175 Gala Dinner Event
As you all know, the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has meant that it has been vital to limit social contact and avoid any gatherings. Even though we are now in a phased return to some sort of normality, we have made the incredibly difficult decision to postpone our 175th Gala Dinner that was due to take place on October 2nd 2020.
While we know this is disappointing, we hope you can understand this step has been taken so that our vast Wesley community do not have to worry about travelling or coming together in large numbers and can stay safe and well.
The Event will now take place on Saturday October 2nd 2021 in The Round Room of The Mansion House in Dublin. Please mark it in your diary. It will be the culmination of a year of events celebrating the Colleges 175 years.
We know that you all understand the reasons for this decision, and we thank you for your support during these unprecedented times.
The Governors of the College have published a set of Guiding Principles for the College in this 175 year. This is produced following consultation with teaching staff, the PTA and Student Council and sets out a vision for Wesley for the years ahead.Guiding Principles
- Photo Memories from 1995 to 2020 has been published and is available to purchase for €15 from email@example.com It is a treasure-trove of images of events and people from the last 25 years.
- Capturing footage of everyday life in the College, a short website film has been released as part of an upgraded College website. This video was filmed in 2019.
- In a time of climate change, we are beginning to leave a longer-term record of the importance of this anniversary as we plant 175 trees on our campus.
- As part of a living history project, we were entertained by Wesley Time Travelers who attended the College over the anniversary period dressed in various uniforms from the past. The Irish Times featured our Time Travelers and you can read it at this link: Irish Times Article.
- Legends from earlier Wesley days were interviewed as part of an audio-visual project for all to enjoy. They recalled stories from St Stephen's Green to Ballinteer and gave us a real insight into what life was like in Wesley College over the years.
- A Wesley College Archives display was unveiled in the Concourse of the Administration Building. There were several items that were loaned to us for this special year as we created a living archive in the College. Large banners were display and allowed students and teachers to read about past pupils and what life was like in Wesley in the past.
- A Wesley Community Family Tree is currently being produced to illustrate an extraordinary network of families, some which have had multiple generations attend the College. If your family has had three of four generations of pupils who have attended please do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Past students have already embarked upon the Making a Difference opportunity. Our students have volunteered in Morocco, India and the Seychelles. The purpose of these 175 initiatives is to support volunteers who seek to make a difference when they leave the College.
- A Wesley International Hockey Patrons support scheme has been launched in this 175th year, to particularly support those of our pupils who are selected to play for a junior age international hockey squad.
- The Wesley College Senior Rugby Squad will tour South Africa in July 2021 as part of the College's 175 celebrations. The squad will play four matches against opposition schools in Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and Durban and will watch the British and Irish Lions take on the DHL Stormers at CPT Stadium in Cape Town, a South Africa Invitational XV at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth and the Natal Sharks at Jonsson Kings Park, Durban.'
- On Founder's Day we heard for the first time a new arrangement of the College hymn. Past pupil Anna Rice arranged this stunning version of our hymn and it was performed by the Senior Choir under the guidance of Mr. Dungan.
- And finally, every pupil present in October 2020 received a specially produced 175 pin and 175 face mask to mark their status as part of the Wesley community.
Thousands of pupils have passed through Wesley College, contributing in many ways. Our 175th year is an opportunity for current pupils, alumni, parents, teachers and friends of the College to celebrate.
Keep checking this page over the year to keep up to date with our celebrations.
Christopher Woods | Principal